Sunday, February 24, 2008

Time to see KC


My travels took me to Kansas City over the weekend and I must say I'm impressed. I wasn't expecting much from the little town in the Midwest, but it sure proved me wrong. The Country Club Plaza offers beautiful Spanish architecture and even boasts a replica of the Giralda Tower from Seville, Spain. Walking around the shop and cafe lined streets feels just like a walk through a quintessential European town. And the steak, some of the best in the country, speaks for itself. I would go back just for the steak alone!

But the best part awaited me at the Nelson-Atkins Museum. This neoclassical building contains masterpieces inside and out. The new Bloch Building, pictured above, was just named Time Magazine's #1 Architectural Marvel. The building stands in stark contrast with the neoclassical style, but adds a new dimension to the establishment.

I just wish KC received a little more credit. I never expected such great things, but I will definitely recommend it to any traveler looking for an up-and-coming kind of place.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

I'm so glad that you went to KC! I'm from there and I agree that it definitely does not get the credit it deserves. The Nelson Atkins Museum is wonderful, especially with the new Bloch addition. Come back soon!